Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Who's Holding My Hand?

This afternoon as I was driving to Portsmouth I heard a woman speaking about a verse she gave to her mother when she was going through chemotherapy at 83 for breast cancer.
Isaiah 41:10 'Do not fear, for I am with you;
Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God
I will strengthen you, surely I will help you,
Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.' NASV
THE MESSAGE Don't panic. I'm with you. There's no need to fear for I'm your God. I'll give you strength. I'll help you. I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.
NKJV Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
As you can see I had to compare versions, but the NKJV is my favorite and the one I intend to memorize this week.
She told her mother that as she underwent the procedure alone, in a scary place, to remember when she extended her right hand it was being held by God himself! What an incredible promise to use for encouragement in difficult circumstances. Later in the program she said this verse can be a prayer for the week. It has seven parts to it so you can meditate upon each aspect of God's character as outlined in the verse.
I have nothing to fear
God is with me
Don't be dismayed or anxious
For God is MY God
God will strengthen me (MY Ebenezer!)
God will help me
God will hold my right hand!
I am so grateful to God for these precious little insights that come across my path on my travels. My time on the road is being redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment