Friday, May 18, 2012

New Directions

“The greatest Christians in history seem to say that their sufferings ended up bringing them the closest to God - so this is the best thing that could happen, not the worst.” ~ Peter Kreeft

David Jeremiah has been sharing most requested sermons this month and what struck me today in the message I got to hear back to back (helps with retention -- short-term memory these days craves it) was considering opportunities from God. Often they are clothed in tests/trials/problems. The really poignant point that stuck out -- sometimes when we're sure God has led us in one direction and He would like to adjust our sails to change our path on the journey we may be so content with where we are that we miss it. Makes me think of my current situation and how once again God is altering the journey by changing the heading but keeping the same destination.
My soul can sense the change and is grateful for the opportunity but also blessed by those who were sensitive to God and began this adjustment in my sails. It would not have occurred to me that this change was possible but they have offered it and it seems to be an answer to a prayer not even prayed!
So what is the lesson? God is always at work refining us and offering new opportunities as we walk closely to Him. Am I willing to have my sails modified? Am I willing to follow into new territory which will offer blessings and burdens?

A question my husband brought up this week also reflects this -- do our neighbors consider our witness to be genuine? It comes as a man on our block who is so outspokenly "Christian" compromises his witness by complaining and nit-picking about others, always the first to find fault, etc. We are getting new neighbors across the street as they move into a rental home. How can we best welcome them and let them know we're here if they need us and yet not to impose ourselves upon them...
Lord, help us to be discerning and sensitive as we begin this new relationship. Help us to be open to the leading of Your Holy Spirit in our lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment