Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Ridiculous Joy!

CAT scan done, awaiting results.

Reading Limitless, a devotional book by Nick Vijacic. I'm a book blogger for Tyndale House so I get to read books and review them. Heard this Aussie on my ride home one evening on Dr. Dobson's Family Talk who was born without arms or legs... Somewhere in the middle of the night I realized the picture on the front of one of my possible reads was Nick!

So I requested a copy for my Kindle and have been reading it since last Wednesday. It's quite a pithy little book. There are 50 devotionals -- I'm reading them like popping M&M's and highlighting like crazy. That's the one thing I LOVE about my Kindle -- when reading a book for review I can highlight the quotes that are keepers and then they are listed on the table of contents page.

Friday morning we went to get my car inspected at Speedy Auto on 21st Street and had breakfast across the street at IHOP. I brought my Kindle and shared the highlighted portions with Vince after we had eaten. It was a time of real encouragement for both of us as I read through those statements that had resonated with my spirit. That's where the title for today's entry comes from -- one of the funniest stories I read--and will share here:

We were in Africa. When we arrived at the airport, I grew bored waiting for our luggage, so I told my caregiver, Kyle, that I wanted to ride the carousel.
He looked at me like he was thinking, Dude, have you gone made as a cut snake?
But Kyle came through. He hoisted me up and plopped me next to a big Samsonite suitcase. Off I went with the rest of the bags and cases. I rode the carousel through the terminal, making like a statue wearing sunglasses and drawing shocked stares, pointed fingers, and nervous laughter from the other travelers. They weren't sure if I was (a) a real person or (b) the world's most handsome duffle bag.
Finally I rode the carousel up to the little door leading to the backroom loading area. There, I was greeted by some African baggage handlers, laughing and smiling at the crazy Aussie on a joy ride.
"God bless you!" they said, cheering me on.
The baggage workers understood that sometimes even grownups have to hitch a ride on a carousel. Youth isn't wasted on children. They enjoy every minute of it. You and I should do whatever we can to keep our youthful joy alive. If your life is too predictable, don't go postal. Take a ridiculous ride back to whatever it was that gave you joy as a child....
It's important to occasionally have a dose of ridiculous fun. It's about enjoying the ride, embracing the blessings, and always pushing not just to live but to enjoy your life to the fullest...       #15 Enjoy the Ride from Limitless by Nick Vijacic

Now for my take on this challenge -- Stephanie and I went for pedicures on Friday afternoon. Having just read this to Vince earlier in the day, when Lucy commented my pastel green was "typical" for me, I asked her what she would do -- she said neon green! I accepted her advice and went for some ridiculous fun for a change. Since the blog won't cooperate and add my pedicure picture you need to engage your imagination. I think Nick would approve. ;D


Today's scripture is Psalm 20
May the Lord answer you when you are in distress;
    may the name of the God of Jacob protect you.
May he send you help from the sanctuary
    and grant you support from Zion.
May he remember all your sacrifices
    and accept your burnt offerings.
May he give you the desire of your heart
    and make all your plans succeed.
May we shout for joy over your victory
    and lift up our banners in the name of our God.


May the Lord grant all your requests.
Now this I know:
    The Lord gives victory to his anointed.
He answers him from his heavenly sanctuary
    with the victorious power of his right hand.
Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
    but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.
They are brought to their knees and fall,
    but we rise up and stand firm.
Lord, give victory to the king!
    Answer us when we call!

God is our defender, protector, champion, trusted listener and faithful friend.   

No comments:

Post a Comment